Wednesday, March 16, 2011

3/16/11: The Bucking Bronco!

Today I got to jump Lucy outside for the first time! It's amazing to think that I never rode her outdoors a single time for nearly three months. Finally the weather is cooperating (it was about 14 degrees celsius today) and I'm getting to ride in the sunshine again! A few days ago, I ventured outside on the flat with Lucy for the first time and got quite an unpleasant surprise when she immediately turned into a bucking bronco and continuously bucked and leapt into the air until she finally threw me onto the ground. After falling off, I couldn't help but imagine the horrible experiences that lay in store for me at home in the near... In Georgia I ride out in a huge grass field almost every day! Riding indoors isn't an option at Pinetree Farm, so Lucy better get used to the sun quickly or I am going to have a permanently sore body from hitting the ground every day! Of course I had to fall off just as the end of my time in Germany is approaching. I think it's required for a horse to throw me off in every country that I dare to ride in! My next foreign stop is Calgary, Alberta, Canada this summer and I will be prepared with some Arnica gel and Advil just in case.
Luckily, after a few days outdoors (and a little work with the draw reins), my bucking bronco seems to be settling down. Today she jumped wonderfully! There were a few pauses in the corners of the ring to let out some hops, but other than that she jumped the course quite smoothly. It was about meter 1.35 with some tight turns, steady lines, and one oxer-vertical in-and-out. Alois said Lucy looked like a little kid running around in the sun, happy to be free. I don't mind her feeling free, just as long as she doesn't get carried away and decide to throw me off again and run free into the German wilderness! Tomorrow I will jump her again, hopefully over a few bigger jumps. Alois didn't mind Lucy bucking today because it was the first time I've jumped her outdoors. However, if she bucks again tomorrow it will be time for "more domination," as he always says!

No comments:

Post a Comment